It’s summer time, ya’ll. That means longer days, warmer weather, and a time for learning new things and broadening our horizons, yes? To honor this new season, we’re kicking off the coolest series in the world. All through spring, we teamed up with chefs, foodies, and bloggers and asked them to create recipes for you using edible flowers. Here today to help us kick off the series in style is Rhea, the creative genius behind Hot Dog Food Blog. Today’s recipe is a risotto as delicious as it is beautiful using nasturtium blooms.
courtesy of: Hot Dog Food Blog
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, separated
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Gris)
- 1 cup nasturtium flowers (chop 3/4 cup, reserve rest for garnish)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- pinch of salt to taste
Make the Magic Happen:
- In a medium pot, keep the broth warm while you prep the rest of the risotto.
- In a large soup pot, heat 4 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add in the shallot once the butter is melted and saute for 2-3 minutes until softened. Pour in the rice and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, coating the rice with the butter.
- Add in the white wine and cook another 2-3 minutes until the wine is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Once the wine has absorbed into the rice, ladle a spoonful of the warm broth into the rice. Stir constantly until the liquid has absorbed almost completely. Repeat adding the broth, stirring until absorbed over and over until only about 1 ladleful of broth remains. This should take around 20-25 minutes for the broth to be added and reduced down, allowing the rice to cook and soften.
- When you add in the last ladle of broth, also add in the chopped nasturtium flowers. Continue cooking and stirring for about 5-6 minutes until the broth is almost completely absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and add in the remaining butter, 1 tbsp. at a time as needed to taste, as well as all of the parmesan, stirring until melted into the rice mixture. Serve immediately.